We will collect no personal information about you when you visit our website unless you choose to provide that information to us. Following is how we handle information about your visit to our website.
- Information Collected and Stored Automatically
- Information Collected for Tracking and Customization (Cookies)
- Links to Other Sites
- Intellectual Property
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website, read pages, or download information, we will collect and temporarily store certain information about your visit automatically. Information that is automatically collected includes:
- The Internet domain from which you access our Web site (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from an educational domain);
- The IP address (a unique number for each computer connected to the Internet) from which you access our Web site;
- The type of browser (e.g., Netscape, Internet Explorer) used to access our site;
- The operating system (Windows, Unix) used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The URLs of the pages you visit;
- Your username, if it was used to log in to the Web site; and
- If you visited the Top Stars Web site from another Web site, the URL of the forwarding site.
This information is only used to help us make our site more useful for you. With this data we learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use.
Information Collected for Tracking and Customization (Cookies)
A cookie is a small file that a Web site transfers to your computer to allow it to remember specific information about your session while you are connected. Your computer will only share the information in the cookie with the Web site that provided it, and no other Web site can request it. There are two types of cookies, session and persistent. Session cookies last only as long as your Web browser is open. Once you close your browser, the cookie disappears. Persistent cookies store information on your computer for longer periods of time.
The Top Stars site may use session cookies for technical purposes such as to enable better navigation through the site, or to allow you to customize your preferences for interacting with the site. In a few cases we may also make use of persistent cookies to remember your between visits so, for example, you can save your entry for future visits.
At no time is your private information, whether stored in persistent cookies or elsewhere, shared with third parties who have no right to that information.
If You Send Us Personal Information
By registering or submitting an entry to the Top Stars Website, you are agreeing to IGES’s and NASA’s (or their contractors') use of any information provided in your entry, including but not limited to reproducing, publishing, modifying and posting on IGES and NASA Websites, and/or promoting or evaluating the contest.
Links to Other Sites
Submitting information is strictly voluntary. By doing so, you are giving IGES and NASA your permission to use the information for the intended purpose, including publishing on IGES or NASA Websites or publications. If you do not want to give IGES or NASA permission to use your information, simply do not provide it.