The The Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) is committed to providing its resources and services to everyone.
To that end, IGES and its web development team at Insight Designs Web Solutions, LLC, created a website that is accessible to people with disabilities -- including visual, auditory, physical, speech, cognitive and neurological disabilities.
This website offers the following accessibility features, which are also in accordance with Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) Guidelines:
- Multiple means are available for obtaining information; i.e. to access a particular page of the site, a user can use the main site navigation, the quick search, the keyword search or the site map.
- Live text is used as often as possible so that users can increase the font size.
- The design is implemented in such a way that increasing font size does not "break" the site's visual design.
- Alt attributes are used on images to describe the function of each visual piece.
- Closed captioning is offered on video files.
- Hypertext links are made up of phrases that make sense when read out of context (not just "click here").
- Secondary navigation is hard-coded on all internal pages for ease of movement within each section of the site.
- CSS is used for layout and style.
- Consistent structure is employed throughout site.
- Breadcrumbs and page headers are included on each page to ensure users know where they are on the site.
- A print-this-page feature is included with a separate print CSS that does not include background images, navigation, etc.
- No frames are used.
- The markup language on each page passes validation